Do's and Don'ts
ARTWORK DO’S AND DON’TS
- Review University Brand Guidelines prior to creating artwork.
- Use a licensed vendor.
- Use the proper trademark designations (i.g. ® or ™). You can find all of our registered trademarks on our Official Logo Sheet.
- Include the University department name, registered student organization name, or event name (if applicable) on all items.
- Plan ahead: for most vendors and products, you must have artwork approved about 2 weeks before you need the product in-hand (not including shipping time). We recommend starting the approval process at least a month in advance.
- Note that use of intellectual property owned by a third party must be approved by that entity in writing and submitted to the licensed manufacturer along with the artwork. For example, if you wish to use artwork, slogans, or trademarks created by someone not associated with your organization, a written release allowing for such use is required before Florida State will grant design approval. This type of approval process often takes weeks, so allow enough time for such approval to be obtained.
- DON'T alter any of the University's trademarks.
- DON'T create a caricature of any University trademarks.
- DON’T incorporate University trademarks into other marks.
- DON’T overprint University trademarks with other words or design elements.
- DON'T include registered trademarks for other businesses, events or locations without the permission of Florida State University Licensing and that business, event or location.
- DON'T use the University's brand on any products that may be harmful to the image or mission of Florida State University
- DON'T use designs that are confusingly similar to the registered trademarks or copyrights of other brands.
Procedures for Obtaining Art & Product Approvals
- FSU has over 400 licensees nationwide with many in-state or local licensees.
- Take your artwork to a licensed manufacturer or ask the licensee to create the artwork for you.
- Provide the vendor the following information (to be submitted to Office of Trademark Licensing in artwork approval):
- Customer name/organization and contact information
- Use of Product (internal consumption, resale, fundraising, etc.)
- Is this item being purchased with University funds?
- If a reorder, date original order was placed
- The licensee will submit the artwork to FSU’s Licensing Office for approval and remit royalties to IMG College Licensing on FSU’s behalf.
For assistance in locating a licensee or any other questions contact FSU’s Licensing Office at 850-644-8690 or email Garrett O’Connor at email@example.com. Florida State University does NOT approve or endorse the use of its marks in conjunction with alcohol or tobacco related products, illegal or illicit activities or substances, firearms, religious affiliation, or political affiliation. Florida State University does NOT approve designs on behalf of any third party right's holder.